Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Unique First Date Ideas In WNY - Krystal's Picks

I was in a relationship for a long time. About ten years to be exact, so when that relationship ended and I was thrown into the dating world for the first time in my adult life, I was kind of lost on where to start. A few friends suggested I try online dating, so I gave it a shot.

I had no clue what I was really looking for, but I knew I wanted someone who loved this area, and loved exploring it as much as I do. Besides that, my only pre-requisites were that they were a Buffalo sports fan and that our first date included more than just dinner or drinks or a cup of tea.

I went out on a lot of first dates in the past few years, and to be honest, a lot of good ones. With the exception of someone wanting to take me out to Mighty Taco on a first date, (I respectfully declined) I can honestly say I didn’t have any horrible experiences! It can be hard to put yourself out there, but I’m so glad I did because I’ve definitely found a keeper!

A few days ago, while I was reading the book “Buffalo Gals” by Amy Strychasz, I started thinking about first dates and thought a great blog post would be about unique first date ideas in Buffalo and WNY.

First dates can be awkward. They are filled with all the basic “getting to know you” questions, and sometimes dinner or drinks where the focus is solely on that can be difficult. I am an active person, I like exploring and I like being on the go, so I came up with my top five list of unique first date spots for all your singles out there looking for a great date idea!

In no particular order…

1.)    The Buffalo Zoo – I went to the Buffalo Zoo on a first date and it was a great time. I hadn’t been to the Zoo since I was little, and walking around, on a gorgeous summer day, and exploring the Zoo was a perfect way to get to know someone. It made for a bunch of laughs and honestly, I learned a decent amount about the guy I was walking around with (and the animals)!

2.)    Niagara Falls – My boyfriend, Geoffrey, suggested Niagara Falls for our first date, and I have to admit I was a little nervous about it all. We met up outside The Hard Rock CafĂ© on the American side and walked across the border and along the Falls on the Canadian Side. How many times can you say you needed your passport for a first date? It is an incredibly romantic place for a walk, and a first kiss in front of one of the 7 Wonders of the World isn’t too shabby either!

3.)    JP Bullfeathers on Elmwood – Yes it is a place to eat and get drinks, but when I went on a first date there we played darts and then took a walk down the Elmwood strip. Nothing like a little friendly competition on your first date. The drink prices aren’t bad either, and the food is pretty good! Split a couple appetizers and a few beers, play some darts and enjoy.

4.)    Niawanda Park – Pack some snacks and enjoy the water, or walk up to Mississippi Muds or Old Man River for some ice cream. There is a really nice path along the waterfront to walk on, or if you are really adventurous, bring your bike or roller blades! Maybe you will even get lucky and your date will have a boat! 

5.)    Albright Knox Art Gallery – it’s the perfect year round place to visit. Even if you aren’t a lover of art, it’s a fun place to check out and it's always interesting trying to decipher art pieces! If it isn't snowing out or too cold, you can always follow it up with a walk down by my favorite place in Buffalo, Hoyt Lake!  

If you aren't as adventurous as me, and prefer dinner or drinks, here are my choices for top five restaurants to check out on a first date: Toro Tapas Bar, Black Rock Kitchen & Bar, Cecelia's, Encore and if you share a common love of beer, Blue Monk! 

I figure I should follow up the "where to go" list with some places I don’t recommend going to on a first date. First of all, I don’t recommend your first date be to one of the awesome summer festivals in Buffalo. Check those out with your friends and family instead! Odds are you are going to run into about 20 people you know at every festival you check out. It can make for awkward moments introducing who you are with! Since I'm a huge sports fan and my world kind of revolves around the Bills and Sabres, I'm not big on taking someone to a sporting event early on in a relationship. And guys, please don't offer Mighty Taco as your first date meeting place. Don't get me wrong, I love Mighty, and I'm sure you do too, but splurge for Cantina Loco instead!

I feel like I could keep rambling on about places to go, but this gives you some great options, especially some summer date options! There are so many great, romantic and fun places to check out with a date, so if you find yourself in a dating rut or need some adventure in your life, shake things up and get out and explore Buffalo and WNY with your next "first" date!


Don't forget to report back to me on how things went! Happy dating!

No comments:

Post a Comment