Friday, May 13, 2011

Blue Monk on Elmwood

My boyfriend Geoffrey and I hit up Blue Monk for the first time a few weeks back. A handful of friends checked it out, so we thought it would be a fun place to try out. I'm so glad we did!

We went on weeknight and it was not busy when we got there (I had called ahead and tried to make a reservation but they don't take them and said we shouldn't have a problem getting a table - we didn't). The restaurant is small, but cute with a lot of fun decorative touches (like halves of doors around the walls). We sat down and our waiter (who was rockin' a vest, seriously!) brought us the beer menu and let us sit with that for a while. There's a few pages worth of beers. I settled on an Ommegang beer (yum!) and Geoffrey had a Belgain beer...they were both good!

They had a big black board with specials and Geoffrey and I decided to each get one of the specials - he got a steak (which was big) with fries and asparagus and I had this chicken dish with creamy polenta and spinach in a cherry balsamic glaze. We also both ordered soup and both got French Onion soup.

After one bite of each of ours we agreed it was the best meal we had out all year. The polenta blew me away, it was amazing, and the chicken was so moist and juicy. The spinach was great too!!! I could have taken home a big bowl of that polenta though, it was fantastic!!!

The crowd was mixed - no specific age group. When we were there, there was a mother/daughter, a few other couples, a group of younger guys, and a few older men enjoying happy hour.

The prices were reasonable (and to be honest, I probably would have paid more for my dinner!), the staff was good and the service was fairly fast, although I wish we got our dinners a little quicker.

This is a newer place on Elmwood and it is the place to go if you like trying new beers...but really, it was one of my favorite food experiences of the year, so if you go, go for dinner!!!

Compliments to the Chefs!!!

For more reviews on Blue Monk check out:

Blue Monk on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment