Sunday, March 4, 2012

Bambino Kitchen & Bar in Buffalo

I made an attempt over the summer to check out Bambino Kitchen & Bar, but was unsuccessful. My boyfriend and I went out for some drinks at Hardware (on Allen) on a Saturday night. Eventually we got hungry and wanted to grab something to eat, but as much as we love Jim’s, we wanted something else. I remembered seeing an advertisement for Bambino Kitchen & Bar saying the kitchen stayed open very late, so we ventured over there…at 2:30am. When we arrived we found out the kitchen closed at 2am and were bummed (but not too surprised)!

Last week we finally made our way back, during normal dinner hours, to eat before a Poetry Slam at The Buffalo Academy of Science Charter School (sidebar – The Poetry Slam included kids from many of the Buffalo Charter Schools and it was a really great event. There is so much young talent in Western New York and even though I didn’t know any of the kids participating, I felt really proud of all of them).

Walking into Bambino Kitchen & Bar, you have to love the modern feel to the restaurant. The brick walls break up the black they use throughout the restaurant and I absolutely love the mason jar lighting accents. I enjoyed the oversized prints of “bambinos” in the restaurant and the numerous flat screen tv’s stood tall over a gorgeous, fully stocked bar. There are two levels of dining and we were seated upstairs. There is also an outdoor patio which looks like it would be the perfect spot to enjoy a few drinks on a gorgeous Buffalo summer night, and my boyfriend and I were already discussing coming back over the summer (before the food even came). One other awesome feature to the restaurant is a small front “porch” area with a gorgeous fire pit. Another perfect spot to enjoy a drink and watch the Buffalo night life.

Everything on the small (but diverse) menu looked great and we decided on a few appetizers, a salad, and one of the wood oven pizzas. We were also brought bread and olive oil, and you can never go wrong with that! Both appetizers we had were outstanding (the arancini and carpaccio). I think they would be an awesome place to come for drinks/appetizers for happy hour! The grilled chicken pizza was good, but the chicken pieces were huge and a little dry. I love wood fired pizzas (shout out to Siena on Main Street), but I was a little disappointed in this one. I only had a few bites of the house salad because I filled up fast, but it was good.

Our service was great and we really enjoyed our experience there. We both talked about coming back in the summer again and I am sure we will. I would love to try one of the pasta dishes on the menu!!

Bambino is located downtown at 297 Franklin Street. They do have late hours most nights, with the pizza oven open until midnight Mondays - Thursdays and 2am on Fridays - Saturdays. You can check them out online at www.bambinobar.com. You can also make reservations online.

Kudos to owner Noel Morreale (who also owns Fiamma Steak on Hertel) on a great addition to the downtown scene!

For more reviews on Bambino Kitchen & Bar, check out:

Bambino Bar and Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment